Sunday, November 8, 2009

Toward a New Future of Whatever-Michael Wesch


Michael Wesch's video discussed the changes in conversation over the years. He used the word "whatever" to show how it has took different meanings from generation to generation. Societies conversations are picked up from what is heard on television and in the media. It is the conversations on television that help create our culture. The video focused on where the culture was going in this new generation. People today are known to have short attentions spans, they are materialistic, and they are not easily impressed. I agree with Mr. Wesch's definition of society today. The world today is always on the go moving at a fast pace. It seems to me that todays world is so focused on the dollar that the simple things are forgotten. The fact that it takes more to impress the average person is because of everything people are exposed to. In the old days people did not have internet where they could google anything they wanted. In the world today crime and murder are subjects that are always being talked about on the news. Society has molded into these definitions because of the way the world has changed over the years.

We come to know ourselves through the relations of others. The new media available creates different ways of knowing ourselves. For example, now we have youtube and webcams to view other people around the world. Through webcam you can even hold coversations while looking at them from your computer. You are able to watch other people without starring at them. Humanity is being created without fear or anxiety.

In my life I do recognize how change has taken place in my life from the way I communicate with others. I realize that when I am around a group of people I tend to pick up on their "sayings". For example, "I know right" is a common thing that a coworker says at work and I find myself using it in my conversations. The people you are around the most really do make an impact on you. I do not feel like I relate to all of the definitons of people today. I do feel like I move at a fast pace, but my family always makes time for one another. I do not care about material things. Life is too short to go around thinking about what you don't have. I thank God everyday for what he has blessed me with. I realize how truly blessed I am to have a healthy family. I do not feel like it takes much to impress me. I get excited over the little things in life. I hope as teacher that I can bring the joy that I experience from life into the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment