Friday, October 2, 2009

Wikipedia


Wikipedia

Can Wikipedia be trusted? I have always used Wikipedia as a source in my reports for school. I never realized that it could be altered by any individual. However, when you use more than one source the facts should be the same from source to source. Wikipedia has one-hundred times the information of a regular encyclopedia, with 85-90 percent accuracy. Therefore, any information one needs can be found there. I think it is fine to use Wikipedia, just make sure to have other sources as well to make sure the facts are correct.

The Wikipedia Scanner will be a tool used to make Wikipedia more accurate. The fact that it can trace the comments and edits on Wikipedia entries back to their source IP address is really awesome. In the future, I think Wikipedia will become more accurate now that the scanner has come along. But for now I would not trust everything that you read on there because someone could have easily went in and changed parts to it.

1 comment: